North Dakota Department of Commerce
Website Link: https://www.commerce.nd.gov/
Products and Services
FAA Designated UAS Test Site, Economic Development, Research, Private Partners
North Dakota is home to the Northern Plains Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Site, a thriving private UAS industry, and the Grand Forks Air Force Base. We have expertise in UAS operations, R&D, testing, evaluation, education, and training. North Dakota is ranked as the #1 Enterprising State by the US Chamber and The Best Run State for the second year in a row by Wall Street 24/7. North Dakota offers legendary business opportunity with world-class expertise from our research universities, easy access to government officials, and a network of existing high-tech businesses.
The North Dakota UAS Team is committed to creating an environment where private enterprise, public and private research organizations and educational institutions may pursue new and exciting opportunities in the UAS industry.
The strengths of North Dakota's team members and the following advantages make North Dakota an ideal location to explore legendary business opportunities on the leading edge of the UAS industry:
• UAS industry support among state and local government, industry, academia and general aviation.
• Existing manned and unmanned aviation best practices.
• Experience obtaining FAA Certificates of Authorization.
• History and culture of aviation safety.
• Uncongested airspace.
• Climate diversity.
• Open terrain. Strategic Incentive Advantages
• Research North Dakota — grant funds for conducting R&D in partnership with North Dakota universities.
• North Dakota Development Fund — gap financing loan and equity program.
• Bank of North Dakota — only state-owned bank in the nation offers unique business financing options.
Contacts at show
The University of North Dakota supports a ground-based, ganged phased array radar system capable of sensing manned or unmanned aircraft within North Dakota. Photo courtesy of Ben Trapnell